Advancing Vietnam's Healthcare System (3cr.)
Places you will visit during the Vietnam program
Learn more about the O’Neill in Vietnam program
V482/V582 - Advancing Vietnam’s Healthcare System: The Role of Socialist Government, NGOs and Private Enterprise in Shaping Primary Healthcare Delivery (3cr.)
Program Director: Mark A. Norrell
The central objective of the program is to highlight the Vietnamese Ministry of Health’s efforts to accelerate progress toward universal health coverage (UHC), and to expand the Vietnam’s primary healthcare system into rural provinces through the Direction of Healthcare Activities (DOHA) initiative. Students will contrast the challenges and approaches taken in Vietnam with similar challenges and approaches in the United States’ healthcare system.
The program was developed in partnership with the Vietnam Union of Friendship Organizations (VUFO) and the Hanoi University of Public Health, which serve as our host organizations.
- Guided visits to Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, His House and Museum, One Pillar Pagoda and the Temple of Literature
- Hoan Kiem (“Returned Sword Lake”), the Hanoi Cathedral (Saint Patrick Cathedral) and Ngoc Son Temple in the Old Quarter
- Sampan boat tour in the rice paddy; Bai Dinh Pagoda
- Overnight at Pom Coong village homestay where ethnic White Thai live
- Guided Tour of Hue Imperial Citadel and Purple City
- Ha Long Bay
- Trang An World Heritage Site
Note: Your IU Bloomington Bursar account will be charged two amounts for participation in this O’Neill International program:
- O’Neill International program fee (two payments)
- IU Bloomington Tuition
Please see below for additional details.
2024 O’Neill in Vietnam Program Fee: $2,200
The program fee will be charged to your Bursar account in two installments:
- A $550 non-refundable pre-payment shortly after you confirm your participation in the program
- The remaining program fee balance will be charged in March, due in April
The program fee for this program includes:
- Medical insurance
- All breakfasts and some additional meals
- Group transportation in Vietnam
- Cultural excursions
For a full breakdown of estimated cost, see the Vietnam fee sheet.
IU Bloomington Tuition – 3 credits
The tuition cost for this O’Neill International program is based on IU Bloomington tuition. The cost of tuition you pay will vary based on your student status. For more information on the cost of summer tuition, please contact IU Student Central.
You will need to pay for your flight to Vietnam, any food not included in the program and other incidentals.
The O’Neill International Scholarship/Fellowship is available to help O’Neill students from IUB and IUPUI study abroad. Please visit our scholarship page for eligibility requirements and application deadlines.
Other scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
Students must be in good academic standing to apply. Preference will be given to students with a sophmore level standing or above who are Healthcare Management and Policy majors.
During the application period (December-January) an "Apply Now" button will be available at the top of this page. You will need to submit the online application by 11:59 p.m. January 27.
If you have any issues throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the O'Neill International Office, 812-855-7568, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.— Saint Augustine, first century philosopher