A Case Study in Environmental Management (3cr.)
Places you will visit during the O’Neill in South Africa program
Learn more about the O’Neill in South Africa program
E482/V482/E582/V582 - A Case Study in Environmental Management (3cr.)
Program Director: Lester Wadzinski
This three-credit hour program will focus on wildlife as a case study of South Africa's most high profile and precious resources. Students will observe management philosophies different from those practiced in the US, and will also learn about how culture and post-apartheid policies have influenced these efforts.
After attending three academic sessions and one orientation session stateside, you will travel to approximately 10 natural areas in South Africa and Swaziland, both public and private, over a 14 day period. Through these visits you will learn about techniques, such as how a safe game capture can be made, research, such as bio-monitoring in Kruger National Park, challenges, such as poaching and politics, policy, such as the concept of private game ownership, sustainability, such as establishment of protected areas, and the impacts of ecotourism and the commercialization of national parks. Topics such as working alongside the communtity, funding, and general management practices will also be covered.
- A close (but not too close) view of creatures in their natural environment including elephants, lions, hippos, giraffes, monkeys, and more
- Snorkeling in the Indian Ocean at Sodwana Marine Protected Area
- Stops at Kruger National Park and others as well as privately owned game reserves for a look at the public and private side of environmental management
- A local dinner and interaction with indigenous people
- A day in the bush tracking wildlife; possible game capture
- A day of bio-monitoring for reptiles and birds
- Viewing impacts of poaching, over-commercialization, etc.
Note: Your IU Bloomington Bursar account will be charged two amounts for participation in this O’Neill International program:
- O’Neill International program fee (two payments)
- IU Bloomington Tuition
Please see below for additional details.
2019 O’Neill in South Africa Program Fee: $3,700*
The program fee will be charged to your Bursar account in two installments:
- A $550 non-refundable pre-payment shortly after you confirm your participation in the program
- The remaining program fee balance will be charged in March, due in April
The program fee for this program includes:
- Medical insurance
- ALL food
- Transportation throughout the program
- Park entrance fees
- Cultural excursions
* Program fee is subject to change due to unforeseeable circumstances
IU Bloomington Tuition – 3 credits
The tuition cost for this O’Neill International program is based on IU Bloomington tuition. The cost of tuition you pay will vary based on your student status. For more information on the cost of summer tuition, please contact IU Student Central.
You will need to pay for your flight to South Africa and other incidentals.
The O’Neill International Summer Scholarship/Fellowship is available to help O’Neill students from IUB and IUPUI study abroad. Please visit our scholarship page for eligibility requirements and application deadlines.
Other scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
During the application period (October - December) an "Apply Now" button will be available at the top of this page. You will need to submit the online application by 11:59 p.m. on December 15.
If you have any issues throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the O'Neill International Office, 812-855-7568, email@example.com.
Studying abroad is critical to just rounding yourself out as a person.—Lester Wadzinski, O’Neill in South Africa program director
Hear from students who’ve participated in the O’Neill in South Africa program
Description of the video: