Public Policy and Administration in the E.U., Germany, and the U.S. (6cr.)
Places you will visit during the Rhine program
Learn more about the O’Neill on the Rhine program
V482/V582 – Public Policy and Administration in the E.U., Germany, and the U.S. (6cr.)
Program Director: Dr. Denvil Duncan
This six-credit program takes place at Germany’s elite National University of Administrative Sciences (Speyer University) as well as onsite classes at the European Union’s headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. You will take five seminars taught in English by faculty from O’Neill and some of Europe’s top scholars in policy, law, and political science. You will also live and study with European students preparing for careers as top officials in EU, German, and other countries’ public institutions. The curriculum takes a comparative approach to understanding public administration in the European Union, Germany, and the United States; European economic integration; Local government and administrative modernization from a comparative perspective; Policy-making in the European Union and its effects on member states; and a special course on the accession of Turkey to the European Union.
- Two day/one night stopover in Luxembourg on the way to Brussels
- On-site classes at EU institutions in Brussels, Belgium, which will include visits from parliamentarians, officials from various EU agencies, and lectures from some of Europe’s top political scientists and policy scholars.
- European Parliament in Strasbourg, France
- Council of Europe in Strasbourg, France
- Tour Historic Heidelberg, Germany
- U.S. Embassy in Frankfurt, Germany
- European Central Bank in Frankfurt, Germany
- Frankfurt Stock Exchange in Frankfurt, Germany
Students stay in a new dormitory building located on campus with private bathrooms, a shared kitchen on each floor, laundry facilities, and access to the library and computer rooms. Breakfast and lunch are available for purchase at the cafeteria on campus. Some meals will be provided as appropriate during excursions/field trips.
For more information on food and housing visit the course website.
Note: Your IU Bloomington Bursar account will be charged two amounts for participation in this O’Neill International program:
- O’Neill International program fee (two payments)
- IU Bloomington Tuition
2020 O’Neill on the Rhine Program Fee: $1,600*
The program fee will be charged to your Bursar account in two installments:
- A $550 non-refundable pre-payment shortly after you confirm your participation in the program
- The remaining program fee balance will be charged in March, due in April
The program fee for this program includes:
- Medical insurance
- Cultural excursions
* Program fee is subject to change due to unforseeable circumstances.
IU Bloomington Tuition – 6 credits
The tuition cost for this O’Neill International program is based on IU Bloomington tuition. The cost of tuition you pay will vary based on your student status. For more information on the cost of summer tuition, please contact IU Student Central.
You will need to pay for your flight to Germany, transportation to and from the airport, food that is not included in the program and other incidentals.
The O’Neill International Summer Scholarship/Fellowship is available to help O’Neill students from IUB and IUPUI study abroad. Please visit our scholarship page for eligibility requirements and application deadlines.
Other scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
Applications for this program are being accepted on a rolling basis. The application will close when the program fills to capacity. Applications will not be accepted after January 26.
If you have any issues throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the O'Neill International Office, 812-855-7568, email@example.com.
There is no other program that has such a unique and deep immersion into the local culture.—Dr. WIlliam Resh, Former O’Neill on the Rhine program director
Hear from students who’ve participated in the O’Neill on the Rhine program
Description of the video: