You can explore the arts world through study and travel to the cities of Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and Haifa. Tel Aviv is located on the Mediterranean and is the financial, technological, and cultural hub of Israel. Jerusalem is one of the oldest cities in the world, and is considered holy by three religions—Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Haifa sits on the slopes of Mount Carmel and overlooks the Mediterranean Sea. It is sometimes referred to it as "Israel’s San Francisco."
Arts Management in Israel (3 cr.)
Places you will visit during the Israel program
Learn more about the O’Neill in the Israel program
A482/V482/Y500/V582 – Arts Management in Israel (3 credits)
Program Director: Ursula Kuhar
This intensive, three week immersion course will explore the arts world through study and travel to the cities of Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and Haifa. The focus is on government in arts regulation, funding, and policy; the management and preservation practices of arts organizations of varying size and scope; and comparing Israeli and American cultural institutions. The course also addresses the fundamental issues related to the arts in times of strife, arts as a catalyst for social change in the Middle East, Israeli cultural capital and exchanges, and the role of the arts in Palestinian territories. Students will conduct site visits at cultural institutions; attend performances and exhibitions; engage in discussions with arts managers, artists, civic leaders, and government officials; and explore historic and cultural sites of interest around the country.
- Explore Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and Haifa
- Meet Staff and attend performances by BatSheva Dance Company, Israeli Opera, Israel Philharmonic, Jerusalem Music Center, and more
- Conduct site visits and tours of several art institutions including: Yad Vashem, Israel Museum, Haifa Museum of Art, Madatech (Israel National Museum of Science, Technology, and Space), Tel Aviv Museum of Art, ANU Museum, and Steinhardt Museum of Natural History
- Visit the Old City of Jerusalem
- Take a day trip to Masada, the Dead Sea, and Ein Hod Artist Colony
- Explore the various markets and cultural districts of all three cities including the famous HaCarmel Market, old city of Jaffa, and Haifa's Baha'i Gardens
- Network with IU alumni in Israel
Housing will be at Little Tel Aviv Hostel in Tel Aviv, and hotels TBA in Jerusalem and Haifa. Little Tel Aviv Hostel is located in the heart of the city for walkable access to our partner organizations. Each dorm has bunk beds with shared a shared bathroom and air conditions. The hostel has wi-fi throughout, lounges, a guest kitchen, and provides breakfast to students every day. Baggage storage and lockers are also available.
Note: Your IU Bloomington Bursar account will be charged two amounts for participation in this O’Neill International program:
- O’Neill International program fee (two payments)
- IU Bloomington Tuition
For a full breakdown of estimated cost, see the Israel fee sheet.
2023 O’Neill in Israel Program Fee: $1800
The program fee will be charged to your Bursar account in two installments:
- A $550 non-refundable pre-payment shortly after you confirm your participation in the program
- The remaining program fee balance will be charged in March, due in April
The program fee for this program includes:
- Medical insurance
- Some meals
- Cultural excursions
Flights are not included in the program fee.
IU Bloomington Tuition – 3 credits
The tuition cost for this O’Neill International program is based on IU Bloomington tuition. The cost of tuition you pay will vary based on your student status. For more information on the cost of summer tuition, please contact IU Student Central.
You will need to pay for your flight to Israel, transportation to and from the airport, food that is not included in the program and other incidentals.
The O’Neill International Summer Scholarship/Fellowship is available to help O’Neill students from IUB and IUPUI study abroad. Please visit our scholarship page for eligibility requirements and application deadlines.
Other scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
During the application period (12/01 - 01/27) an "Apply Now" button will be available at the top of this page. You will need to submit the online application by 11:59 p.m. on January 27.
If you have any issues throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the O'Neill International Office, 812-855-7568, email@example.com.