Arts Management in Israel (3 cr.)
Places you will visit during the O’Neill in Israel program
Learn more about the O’Neill in the Israel program
A482/V482/Y500/V582 – Arts Management in Israel (3 credits)
Program Director: Ursula Kuhar
This intensive, three week immersion course will explore the arts world through study and travel to the arts and culture metropolitan area of Tel Aviv, Israel. The focus is on government in arts regulation, funding, and policy; the management and preservation practices of arts organizations of varying size and scope; and compares Israel and American cultural institutions. The course also addresses the fundamental issues related to the arts in times of strife, arts as a catalyst for social change in the Middle East, Israeli cultural capital and exchanges, and the role of the arts in Palestinian territories. Students will conduct site visits at cultural institutions; attend performances and exhibitions; engage in discussions with arts managers, artists, civic leaders, and government officials; and explore historic and cultural sites of interest around the country.
- Explore Tel Aviv by foot
- Watch performances by Batsheva Dance Company, Israeli Opera and Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
- Take a tour of the Tel Aviv Museum of Art and the Beit Hatfutsot Museum
- Visit Knesset, Old City, and Yad Vashem in Jerusalem
- Take a day trip to Masada and watch a performance at Cameri Theatre
- Take a day tour of Old Jaffa and art galleries
- Walking tour of HaCarmel Market, Neve Tsedek cultural district, and Bialik Square
- Network with the Tel Aviv Chapter of the IU Alumni Association
Note: Your IU Bloomington Bursar account will be charged two amounts for participation in this O’Neill International program:
- O’Neill International program fee (two payments)
- IU Bloomington Tuition
Please see below for additional details.
2018 O’Neill in Israel Program Fee: $1,500*
The program fee will be charged to your Bursar account in two installments:
- A $550 non-refundable pre-payment shortly after you confirm your participation in the program
- The remaining program fee balance will be charged in March, due in April
The program fee for this program includes:
- Medical insurance
- Some meals
- Cultural excursions
* Program fee information is from summer 2018. Information for summer 2020 will be available by the end of September.
IU Bloomington Tuition – 3 credits
The tuition cost for this O’Neill International program is based on IU Bloomington tuition. The cost of tuition you pay will vary based on your student status. For more information on the cost of summer tuition, please contact IU Student Central.
You will need to pay for your flight to Israel, transportation to and from the airport, food that is not included in the program and other incidentals.
The O’Neill International Summer Scholarship/Fellowship is available to help O’Neill students from IUB and IUPUI study abroad. Please visit our scholarship page for eligibility requirements and application deadlines.
Other scholarships are available on a competitive basis.
During the application period (October - December) an "Apply Now" button will be available at the top of this page. You will need to submit the online application by 11:59 p.m. on December 15.
If you have any issues throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the O'Neill International Office, 812-855-7568, email@example.com.